Saturday 12 March 2011

Nintendo Fuzz and Germanium Transistors

Today I dismantled one of my many previous SHO builds, by basically gutting the box, and redrilled for my nice high end connectors and 2.1mm power jack.

I built into the box a nice Nintendo thing called a Thing-Ma-Bob:



























Its kinda wierd, really loud, but at a specific point in the pot travel you get a nice Atari kinda fuzz. :) Better than a SHO



I also put some Ac128 Germanium Transistors in my Fuzz Factory, replacing the BC558 Silicons. The pedal sounds more authentic now. Only issue is I havent managed to measure the Hfe as my DMM is being a spastic. So, I just took two and shoved them in. It works! Awesome.



Next on my list is to get round to my Red Llama, however, I have decided to do a 2 in 1 pedal, with a Green Ringer, for a take on the Purple Platypus. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. ha, that 'thing a ma bob looks great' 2 caps, 1 resistor and an IC? I have to give that a try!!

    I usually find the 'shove a couple of transistors in' approach works pretty well usually in most circuits. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude I WANT a purple platypus!!!! hahaha. - you selling these? hey if so hit me up on facebook (rikhi ramrakha)

    ReplyDelete