Sunday 22 May 2011

Perfbord Big Cheese UPDATED 01/06/11 VERIFIED

Ive never done this before, but today I did by hand copy out onto Pad-per-Hole (perfboard) the OLC Chunky Cheese schematic.

For those interested, here is the layout. You can get the details of the components from the OLC PDF (http://www.olcircuits.com/documents2008/olc_chunkycheese_buildguide.pdf)


Here is just the links UPDATED 1st JUNE VERIFIED



Here is with my cheesy (pun intended) scribbles of the component locations. Id love it if someone could check and see there arent major boo boos. UPDATED 1st JUNE VERIFIED





Ill have a go at verifying this tommorow. Damn drawing took me hours as it is! Kept screwing up the drawing and wanted it perfect...no Tipex allowed! OH yeah, one other thing, Input is the pad at 2,V (top left of the board).

My grand plan is to build this, then a take on the Brown Source called the Tone Source, and then I have bought some oversize boxes to build my own CheeseSource out of :)

Wish me luck...

Ian

UPDATE

 I have fixed this. There was 2 issues with the previous attempt. Firstly, I had forgotten to add the 9v to the second IC (top right of the layout, to pin 7). Secondly, the volume control needed to be grounded from the Lug 1 connection. With these fixes in place, the pedal works as advertised. Happy days!

I will make up the Tone Source next, then make my version of the Cheese Source :)

9 comments:

  1. Good luck!

    I hope it turns out OK...
    I have a Cheese Source and it's a phenomenal pedal; the Big Cheese is a really superb fuzz - definitely one of my favourites.
    I have a love-hate relationship with the Brown Source though... a lot of the time I find it really underwhelming (it's not really any good as a standalone overdrive with a clean amp - in my opinion) but at other times it is perfect.

    If you're planning to house them both in the same enclosure, I'd definitely recommend giving each side its own set of ins/outs like on the original Cheese Source, or add a switch which swaps the order they are connected in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kev. I had a clone of the big Cheese at one time, years before I got into this lark. Wish Id kept it, but it was wierd, below unity gain on most if not all settings, therefore unusable.

    The cloner called it a Fromunda Cheese. It was in a gold hammertone case.

    Apparently the Hammond Tone Source rectifies a lot of issues with the Brown Source, and sounds more up my street than the original unit. I will defo house them in the same box, and looking at replicating the orignial switching (I think I need to use switching jacks?!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shit, lol. Any chance you could open it up and draw me out the switching arrangements please? That would be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's weird... the proper Big Cheese has loads of output; I usually have the volume around 9:00-10:00.

    What's the story behind the Hammond Tone Source version? I did a (very) quick search and just found a few layouts but no info about how it differs to the original Brown Source.

    I'll have a look at the pedal when I get home this evening and see what's what.

    ReplyDelete
  5. all the details for tone source are here kev

    http://www.diystompboxes.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tone_Source

    ulysses has a verified layout too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someone please help! I spent many hours putting this together, and it seems to function apart from

    1 - there is a lot of bacjkground noice / buzz / hum

    2 - the volume control doesnt work.

    otherwise the switches, fuzz and tone work as they should..

    Now, looking at the schematic, it seems ive made an oversight, lug 1 of Pot 3 seems like it should go to ground if you read the OLC manual, however ,if I do this, it cuts all sound completely.

    Ive checked with an audio probe and i get sounds all through th ebuild. Im sure its a ground problem somewhere. I am also not sure why the volume pot isnt working.

    if anyone can help, id love to hear from you... [sadface]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any luck getting it working, Ian?

    I could be wrong and may be thinking of something else, but I think I've heard that the OLC documentation isn't always 100% correct, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are some mistakes...

    Maybe you could compare it to the GGG project page: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/projects/73-fuzz-tones/100-great-cheddar
    It's got to be worth a look.

    Do you still want me to look at the wiring/switching of the Cheese Source for you?
    Or do you want to wait until you get the fuzz working?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, I'm away for a couple days so I've left it to stew for a bit. I am still interested un the wiring and switching, because I will be making it regardless, vero, pcb or otherwise. I've asked Mark to do me a vero ;) hopefully he feels generous enough!

    I had a breif look at the GGG and it seemed the same but I'll have to go over it again. Like I said, it works apart from the hum and the volume control. Not sure what else to say... :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Got it working. will revise the layout shortly. forgot a +9v to the second IC .... rolleyes

    ReplyDelete