Thursday 2 June 2011

Big Cheese (CheeseSource) build progress 1

In my previous post I stated my intentions to make my version of a Lovetone Big Cheese. Lets get things out in the open - Ive always had a big ole soft spot for Lovetone. I am fortunate to still own an DoppelGanger v4 certainly one of the coolest phasers ever made, and I did have the ?Flange With No Name? which I regret selling, but wasnt ultimately really useable for me. Anyway, if they were still sold today chances are I might own more.

These pedals are notoriously complex and hard to build. Im going to attempt to make the simplest designs, the overdrive and fuzz pedals, and box them together to emulate the CheeseSource dual pedal.


Im going to be building a vero of the Doug Hammond Tone Source, which I will detail in a later blog.
This update is to provide the following images of the perfboard (pad-per-hole) Big Cheese workalike that I have built. I had a few issues (seen in previous post) but its up and running now. I am in talks with a well known PCB maker to get some PCBs made, but for now, I will use this bad boy.

Let me know if you want in on any PCBs!

Big Cheese perf build:








Now I am not sure if this is good or bad construction, but it works and doesnt seem noisy. Given the choice Id have done this on vero, or PCB, but this made a nice change for me, and was my first perf board build. If Id drawn out the PCB properly in the first place, I would have had this working first time, so thats a pretty positive outcome.

Obviously right now, the wires are longer than needed and not soldered well at all to the offboard parts, but were just hooked up for testing purposes.

Let me know what you think!?!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you got it working.

    I've just sent you an internal picture of my Cheese Source - I hope it helps with the wiring.

    ReplyDelete