Sunday 5 June 2011

Building for Dutch Uncles (two custom commisions)

Some friends of mine from when I was still gigging (always intend to get back to it of course) have started making a name for themselves. With a self titled debut album released thru a German Label, now a second album "Cadenza" just out on Memphis Industries DUTCH UNCLES look set for a bright future. You can check out the title track here: Cadenza by Dutch Uncles (c) 2011

I've been to meet up with guitarists Pete and Sped recently, to talk pedals and discuss some custom work for them. They were both immediately taken with some of the Zvex style pedals I have made, and I agreed to make them one each as a starter. Pete went for a prehistoric-inspired fuzz, called the Dr Schbooghead, and Sped was more taken with vexs most famous noisemaker. He has given this the name Mr Wooding.

I set about crafting these yesterday afternoon/ evening and finished today. Both sound amazing. I am waiting on some artwork for them from the guys, to give them the totally custom style.

The Dr Schbooghead has the inpedance control from the Mastotron fuzz, while the Mr Wooding has a switchable (internal) input cap. I think I went with 47uF in the end after some testing, to tame some highs. I also used BC558b PNPs in this, rather than AC128s. I think the sound is similar and both pleasing, the former more cost effective and less random.

Sped preferred a larger footprint, with the knobs out of kicking distance, so I obliged. Pete liked the small pedalboard friendly size, but a portrait layout. I opted for a 2 by 3 rows of knobs.

Like my last build I used pot pcb tags through vero - this makes stuff really quick to wire up - love it!

Here are the articles, before finishing.

Mr Woodings


Dr Schbooghead


Hopefully these will prove inspiring for the guys as they tour their second album and write the third.

2 comments:

  1. Where I can found the layout of the pcb used in footswitchs.

    Thanks

    Pedro

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10429&hilit=dpdt+daughter

    enjoy

    ReplyDelete