Friday 8 July 2011

Another John Hollis Easy Vibe

These things are great. So great in fact the guys from Dutch Uncles were quite taken with mine when I met them a few weeks back. After the successful first collaboration on the Mr Wooding, guitarist Sped asked me to make him a Vibe pedal, with the graphics an (ahem) loving homage to the lovely Hayley from Paramore

I used an idea I picked up on the Tremulus lune for this build. I used vero for the pots again, and I used the vero in the middle to mount the LED, with leads flying back to the DPDT footswitch board. Looks cool, seems robust, and holds the LED solidly. Winner! I used some cheap LEDs from Rapid which I was a bit concerned about (different to ones Ive used in previous builds of this pedal).

Thankfully the effect works as it should. Im yet to thoroughly playtest but it sounded nice through my little test rig. Encountered a couple dumb issues - wired both pots backwards which was dumb of me, ill need to check the schematic, Im sure I did it right. Anyway, I fixed that. Second was the Tip of the input jack was pushing against the back of the pot. Luckily I used the nice plastic coated ones. I ended up twisting the jack round as it was a pain.

Some pics:

Pot assembly with LED mouting








Gut shot of the completed build



Front pic. I think I sourced the perfect knobs for this!


6 comments:

  1. hi, I built the easyvibe two times and try to debug it since two month and I can't see where 're my mistake. Can you tell me if the schema you use is the schema that you post in the other easyvibe post? It seems that some of the components are in a diferent way. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi ,I would like to here your vibe pedal , I noticed your LDRS are not cased with the LEDs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi
      This isnt mine, it was built for someone else. It sounds like a 4 stage phaser pretty much. You dont need to encapsulate the LED/LDR combo in my experience.

      thanks

      Ian

      Delete
  3. Hi Ian ,just finished mine , really great must be my tenth build now I followed the Sabro Tone Schematic. Still learning so glad i got into building pedals its helped me in many ways. The thick grey wire you use to connect the jack sockets what name does it go by, I would like to obtain some from BITSBOX. Best Regards Stu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the build. You should check out Madbean if you havent already, he does the best PCB based projects in my opinion. The wire you are considering is called shielded or screened cable, you can get it in various colours and guises from multiple sources/suppliers. Dr Tweek does really good dual-core stuff http://doctortweek.co.uk/epages/f6b73913-c261-421c-ad34-915e1cccc9ce.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/f6b73913-c261-421c-ad34-915e1cccc9ce/Products/67

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the reply , There is a shop worth checking out I just remembered AMPMAKER in the UK, a while ago I bought a PP18Watt mini blues breaker from them . Barry runs( AMPMAKER)online shop he sells the plastic jacks, wire ,Caps, Resistors not just for amps but pedal building as well. Anyway thanks again Ian for getting back to me.

    ReplyDelete