Monday 11 July 2011

Crunchboxes

Ive built two Crunchbox variants this weekend.

The first is a for a mate, based on the layout by Mark.
Substitutions are 3mm LEDs for clipping, and a 10k normal log pot. In hindsight, I can see why a log pot is called for. Its very muffly in the bass side, and the reverse log would spread out the treble adjustment. If my futurlec order contains the right pot (ill have to check) Ill switch them out.

The second one is for me, based on the Cap'n Munch variant by GuitarPCB.com (Tonman layout).
Built per spec, with socketed tone caps, got 47nF in there for now, will try others when time permits.

Here is a board comparison!

Some of the parts on the vero are hidden by that horrendous greenie ;)

LD-1 Larry David  for my mate, his artwork


Mintberry Crunch, for me (!)





So far I like the Mintberry better, the tone control on the Tonman revamp is much improved (active boost of bass or boost of treble - however, the taper sucks...far too trebly from about 11pm).  I need to check out some different options for the tone caps.

For the Larry D, I think I will try out the proper pot. It sounds good from say 3pm on the dial. Not much working room. Alternatively I could rewire the existing pot for more treble play, and have it set up like a RAT filter. hmmm.

Comments appreciated.
Cheers all.

No comments:

Post a Comment