Tuesday 12 July 2011

Pedalboard rewire

Today I received my very swanky and cool FAME DCT-200 power supply. Had this on backorder for ages now. You may recall my earlier post on the subject... Its basically a mishmash of the best PSUs out there, but a Chinese knockoff (gotta love 'em!)



It has 8 x 9vDC outlets:

1 - 4: 9v, 100mA
5 - 6: 9v, 250mA
7 - 8: 9v, 100mA - with adjuster to wind down to 4v for battery sag effects - great for fuzzes.

It also has DIP switches. For 7 and 8, it turns on the "sag" potentiometers.
For 1-4, it gives 12.3v, 60mA
For 5-6, it gives 14.5v/12v, 50mA/200mA respectively. Not too shabby!

Total mA is 1600 to boot.

It also has 1 x 12vDC,250mA, and 1 x 12vAC, 250mA so it can power my Line6 DL-4 big green beastie.
Sadly I dont think any of these works with my Digitech XP which is AC only, and I darent risk going over 9v incase I fry it. So I cant do away with the powerstrip and wallwarts completely.

It comes complete with 2 lots of 8 (16) standard cords (black), a couple of 2.5mm cords (blue), a couple jack cords for old EHX effects, a polarity reverser adaptor, and a couple red ones I havent figured out yet, and probably dont need...

Anyway, all that for Euro 59 delivered. I cant think of a better buy.
Oh and one other thing...haha....YES, the outputs are all isolated and protected. Beat that!
Any negatives? Yes - its massive, yellow, and has a tribal image on it. I might refin it in the future. 

So this is what my board looked like earlier this evening:






This is what it looks like now:


Managed to squeeze a couple more effects in, relegated the Digidelay in favour of my EchoBase. Quite liking this set up, covers a lot of bases as they say.

Here is a little GIF I made for a laugh of the process:

11 comments:

  1. ACE blog you have here dude! I was wonering if you could possibly tell me:
    That new power supply you got up there: you reckon the Electro Harmonix micro synth pedal will work with it?

    If you could let me know, that would be amazing!
    Many thanks.

    MC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael

    Depends which version. If its the new one which is 9v then Id guess at yes.
    If its the old folded metal large size ones, they are 24v tip positive, so no.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I've got the older one. Dammit!
    Thanks for your help. I've been hunting around for one that accommodates that and the DL4. WIll keep searching!

    Thanks man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have to use a wallwart for the XP pedal, its not so bad.

    The higher cost Voodoo Labs pedal power have a courtesy outlet so that you can plug a wallwart directly on that, but they are way more expensive than the Fane DCT200.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any chance this power supply works in Canada/USA? I notice you're from the UK. Voltage differences may be tough to get around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi. There is a switch on the back for 110v or 220v operation, so you should be covered.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, how is this power supply going? Any noise or other issues? Is there a downside to it not being toroidal?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its absolutely fine. My advice? Buy one. Or two. Still be cheaper than the VL PP2+

    Dont understand what downsides there would be regarding the transformer. Its got isolated outputs, works fine, and introduces no discernable noise. YMMV.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,
    I also have the Line6 dl4 pedal. How does it work with the 12VAC 250mA, if the pedal power requirement says that it must be 9VAC at least 1200mA?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've got one of these for two years now. It's brilliant for the price, but output 8 started making this horrible ground noise every time I use it to power a pedal. It does its job; it's just crap that one of the outputs has gone faulty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had something similar with. Mine after I swapped a pedal. Turns out I was drawing too much power. Make sure you have the right pedal in the right ma slot. Your big drawers(line digital pedals etc) in the big ma slots. It tells you in the top what each channel can handle.

    ReplyDelete