Friday 18 February 2011

Upgrading equipment

Around the time of wanting to up my game a bit, I started to read this fantastic blog by a chap called Melx:
Melx: Adventures in Effectors

In his blogs he has many how to guides, done much better than I could hope to, so read that wisely.
Anyway, one of his posts mentioned a great source for tools on eBay. With haste I took his recommendation and invested in a Xytronics soldering iron, stand, and special metal sponge.

Basically, without boring people to tears, this was £30 of the best spent money of 2011 for me.
This tool is instrumental in being able to solder accurately, fast, and cleanly. I love it.
Its helped me more than anything. People, get a good soldering iron.

As well as this, I also invested in some nice Ti HSS drill bits, so I could properly drill boxes.

Using these upgrades, I have gone on to build the aforementioned "pro" SHO (just a joke for me really, I know its not pro, but its "my" pro version of the 4 Ive built) and also now a Fuxz Faxtory clone (all Silicon, socketed to maybe try Germanium later) and a Woolly Mammoth. These will be documented in upcoming blogs.

If you want a good iron, here you go.
The Solderman, on eBay

3 comments:

  1. Great start to the blog mate.... very enjoyable read (and thanks for the kind words) ... I have no idea why you can't get the bazz fuzz to work, I'm tempted to send you a working circuit for you to box up!

    When you built your silicon fuzzface did you change anything or just stick silicon PNP's in it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great read Ian. You've certainly built some high quality effects, and even more impressive when you consider this is a new hobby for you. Really good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi guys

    Thanks. ~Honestly without finding both your blogs id still be languishing around with my shoddy Maplin equipment and DIY layouts, which Im not good at.

    Of course FSB, Arons site and GGG etc helped too

    Melx, I think you would really dig a Fuzz Factory, and yeah, I kept the NPN the same and replaced the Ge with BC558 Si transistors.

    Ill do a write up soon

    ReplyDelete